It begins like this:
You wake up feeling like roadkill.
You’ve tried to escape this fate.
Flu shot? Check.
Frequent hand washing? Obvi.
Hand sanitizer? Attached to key chain.
In spite of all of the preventative measures, sometimes you just get sick. And so, as I wait for my antibiotics to kick in, allow me to share with you some of the things that keep me sane when I’m feeling under the weather:
1. Chicken soup (not pictured…already consumed). Aka Jewish penicillin. Perfect for those cold winter days and for breaking up that mucus. While I love me some Campbell’s, Nothing beats the original from bubbie herself. So please send me your bubbie’s chicken soup.
2. Necessary, unapologetic schlep. Preferably sweatpants in bright colours. You’re feeling sick but you might as well look cute. I personally enjoy these purple ones from Lazypants. They are a little on the pricier side but I’ve also had them for five years and they still look brand new.
3. Warm blanket/blanket scarf. Whether it be your Hudson Bay iconic stripes or even just a blanket scarf from the Gap ($8 clearance, thanks) these are perfect for covering up (or making couch forts).
4. Netflix in bed. Maybe you want to catch up on Olivia Pope’s shenanigans. Feel a little emotional with Jughead on Riverdale? Or watch a good standup show (any Maron fans out there?)? There are so many options of every category for you to enjoy.
5. Humidifier (not pictured). Absolutely necessary. We use this crane teardrop ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. It works perfect for small to medium spaces and will you help you sleep easy while breathing better.
6. Boogie wipes. I can’t even you guys. These wipes dissolve boogers like nobody’s business. No need to worry if it was a scratch or a pick with these babies.
7. Tea. Keep those fluids going. David’s tea makes some amazing flavours. My favourites include Organic Cold 911, Forever Nuts and Bear Trap. BONUS: if you become a frequent steeper member, you can earn points for free tea!
8. A big cute mug with an obvious uplifting message. Enter Rae Dunn mugs. I found her on Instagram and honestly, her whole style is just simple fun and fit ALOT of fluid. #CHUG
9. Pet snuggles. Get a snuggly rescue cat that is starved for attention. Also doubles as a great foot warmer.
10. Magazines. Get caught up on the important news of the day.
See? Sick days don’t have to be a drag. Take care of yourself. As for me, I have a date with destiny. Adam has his hazmat suit on. Cue the Vick’s massage. True romance folks.
Please jump into the conversation. What are some of the necessary items in your “kit”? Maybe you want to tell me what you are binge watching on netflix? Let me know in the comments below!