I’ve let this absence go waaay further then I had planned. But that is the roller coaster we call life and the last few months have been quite the ride. Seriously? This post has been living in my computer for the last two weeks. This is the first day in weeks that I’ve had to myself. While things are hardly slowing down, here’s a little update on where I’ve been and what’s been happening.
It has been a little over a month since BlissDom Canada wrapped. A day before the conference started, I received an offer to work seasonal at Victoria’s Secret. I immediately accepted. I was going to have the time and since I had nothing else on the table, I went into interview for the generalist position (you do everything – sales, shipment, cash etc) and was hired two days later.
Shortly after I started this job, THIS HAPPENED. One tiny little man said some stupid things and the media had a field day. Influencers have been posting their boycotts. Even some of my friends and family have refused to shop at the store.
But here’s my truth: Victoria’s Secret has helped pay my bills this holiday season. And the people I work with, come from all walks of life. Make no mistake: We are no angels. But we come in all different colours, shapes, sizes, genders, and ages. But what we all have in common, what unites us, is the fact we are just trying to survive. This is our JOB. And while this company is far from perfect or dare I say it “angelic”, the retail operations take inclusion and diversity very seriously. And while I wish people would take this into consideration before posting their online manifestos/boycotts, this is something I need to radically accept. I’m still working on it.
The Handmaid’s Tale
By far, one of the coolest things to end this year would be getting cast as a Martha in The Handmaid’s Tale.
A few months ago, I saw an ad on Facebook wanting some fresh and real faces for the third season of The Handmaid’s Tale, that’s currently in production and filming in Toronto and other parts of Ontario. I remember thinking “what the hell” and sent the casting agents my measurements and three photos of myself (no headshots, no filters, just real photos).
And then I just assumed they forgot about me. Does Gilead even have women with size 11 feet?
To my complete surprise, they emailed me 2 days before the shoot.
While I want to share with you everything, I can’t. I signed a non-disclosure agreement which basically means I am literally “UNDER HIS EYE”. And what that means, is I don’t want to be sued. Case in point: during a break in filming, one of the AD’s told us a cautionary tale of an extra in Star Trek: Discovery ( also being filmed in Toronto). Apparently, he got a little snap happy, shared his adventure on Instagram and is currently being sued by CBS. But what I will say is how amazed I am with the production team. I was there for sixteen hours and while alot of that time was spent waiting, there was always something to see. Tease me all you want but there is something magical about being on a film set and watching everything come together.
Wouldn’t it be great is we could get spoiler alerts on our lives? As I look forward to 2019, I accept that there are some unknowns. But here are some things know for sure (and in no particular order):
- I will continue to be remain active on this blog and on my social media accounts. Adam got me this amazing planner from The Content Planner to help me organize all my content I have floating around in my brain. As I continue to navigate this social media landscape, I still have much to learn and much to discover. I hope you will continue to join me on this journey!
- I’m not going back to teaching or the field of education. So stop asking.
- I plan on continuing to work for Victoria’s Secret. The management has been incredibly supportive in helping me balance and fit in my other endeavors. Bonus? The discount is awesome.
- I’m on the roster to play a Martha in the Handmaid’s Tale until May of next year. I can’t wait to share my full experience once the episodes have aired and it is approved to do so (but follow me on my socials to get all the up to date news).
- My youtube channel IS HAPPENING. I am determined to conquer my fear of film editing and just launch already. I keep talking about it but my own insecurities and self-doubt have kept it on the back burner for far too long. I’m going to feel the fear and do it anyway.
Phew. That was A LOT of catching up. As always, I love hearing from you and welcome feedback, questions and conversations.
I’m also open to collabs so if you are a brand or influencer that wants to work with me, please drop me a line here!
Thank you again for coming by today and I look forward to bring you more chutzpah in 2019!